Monday, January 24, 2011

The Joys of Jell-O

Back when I was working at Okland Construction, there was a time when someone filled a cubicle full of books as a prank. (I have to admit, it was pretty funny, but I'm really glad it wasn't my office space.)  The books were all up for grabs but most were ones you probably wouldn't want, like Debbie Reynolds life history and such.  In my treasure hunt for usable books, I did happen to come by this beauty: Joys of Jello. 

The book has been sitting on my shelf of recipe books and I finally cracked it open last week when we had some people over for dinner.  I didn't really want to make a high calorie dessert because that would mean high calorie left overs, so Mark suggested I make something from the book.

After flipping through the pages and making a mental note to only use the dessert section after finding recipes that included Tuna and other random vegetables, I found one that was purely Jell-O.


Rainbow Cake

I only used 2 colors and it turned out plenty high and jiggly, so I'm not sure how anyone could make the one on the top right with 5 colors.

After two sets of jello that were failures, I finally got the whipping technique down (turns out whipping Jello only requires it to be cooled and doesn't have to be starting to set at all....just in case any of you
were wondering).  Dessert was a success with a dolop of cool whip. 

I was so impressed with this Jello project that I decided to try another recipe this week that called for Dream Whip - another item I was not familiar with. Pretty fun stuff. Highly recommened for your jello adventures. Now the next step is to try again using sugar-free Jell-O for an even less calorie treat. 

No comments: