Southwestern Chili recipe
I adapted this recipe from a vegetarian non-spicy version and we love it! I make it at least 4-5 times each Fall/Winter. One of the best parts about this is that I always have these items on hand so making the soup doesn't even require a trip to the store! And it is a one pot wonder so the dishes are a cinch!
Ingredients:
2 cans stewed Mexican tomatoes (I buy the whole tomatoes and then puree them in my food processor or blender)
1 small can diced or whole green chilies (they go in the food processor with the tomatoes)
2 cans black beans drained
1 can corn drained
1 medium yellow onion
2 Tbsp. cumin
Salt & Pepper to taste
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 cups of water
1 lb. mild ground Italian sausage (or go for hot if you are brave!) - Macey's always has this
OR
1 lb. ground beef (but then I add crushed red pepper flakes)
I usually do 1/2 sausage, 1/2 beef.
Here's how to make it:
Get a big soup pot. Cook the beef/sausage and crumble it while you cook. Take out of pot and set aside. Add just a drizzle of olive oil and the chopped onion. Cook 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add cumin and garlic and cook 2 more minutes until the mixture has become fragrant. Add pureed tomatoes, green chilies, water, beans, corn & meat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. I usually add about 2 Tbsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, cheddar cheese or nothing at all!
This recipe is so forgiving too. I've used one can of Mexican stewed, one can of regular and it tasted great. I've added 3 cans of tomato and 3 cups of water and the same amount of everything else and it tasted great and fed a lot more people. It is pretty chunky so adding more of the liquid isn't going to hurt it.
Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 cans stewed Mexican tomatoes (I buy the whole tomatoes and then puree them in my food processor or blender)
1 small can diced or whole green chilies (they go in the food processor with the tomatoes)
2 cans black beans drained
1 can corn drained
1 medium yellow onion
2 Tbsp. cumin
Salt & Pepper to taste
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 cups of water
1 lb. mild ground Italian sausage (or go for hot if you are brave!) - Macey's always has this
OR
1 lb. ground beef (but then I add crushed red pepper flakes)
I usually do 1/2 sausage, 1/2 beef.
Here's how to make it:
Get a big soup pot. Cook the beef/sausage and crumble it while you cook. Take out of pot and set aside. Add just a drizzle of olive oil and the chopped onion. Cook 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add cumin and garlic and cook 2 more minutes until the mixture has become fragrant. Add pureed tomatoes, green chilies, water, beans, corn & meat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. I usually add about 2 Tbsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper.
Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, cheddar cheese or nothing at all!
This recipe is so forgiving too. I've used one can of Mexican stewed, one can of regular and it tasted great. I've added 3 cans of tomato and 3 cups of water and the same amount of everything else and it tasted great and fed a lot more people. It is pretty chunky so adding more of the liquid isn't going to hurt it.
Enjoy!
1 comment:
How flattering! :) I'm glad you liked the soup. You also ate this at your baby shower one year ago. :) I'm tricky like that.
Post a Comment