Friday, April 16, 2010

Recipes: Peanut-Curry Chicken and Rice and Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole

One of my creative outlets has always been cooking. I'm always searching for a new recipe, and despite the fact that I have several folders full of new recipes, I always look for new ones.  So when I'm feeling bored of the usual meals and don't know what to make, I pull out my pluthera of recipes and pick one...of course I never really make it exactly as listed (usually because I don't have an ingredient or I don't like one of the ingredients or I want to make it low fat).  After I make the meal, Mark and I give it a thumbs up or thumbs down and if it's a keeper I try to make notes to know what variations I made to the recipe.  If it's a no-go, it goes in the trash (I used to keep them...but why???) Here are two of my most favorite thumbs up recipes.

Recipe 1: Rachel Ray's Peanut Curry Chicken & Rice
For her recipe click here 
(This is the advantage of staying at home and occasionally catching a show of Rachel Ray.)  Beware - it may not look to appetizing if you have a little one at home and change diapers often, but it tastes great.
  • Rice
  • 1 small bunch scallions, coarsely chopped
  • 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated (I actually bought the ginger)
  • 2 large garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped and mashed into paste
  • 1 small red chili pepper, seeded and chopped (I used a little red pepper spice instead)
  • 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, a couple of handfuls
  • 2 rounded tablespoons curry powder, a couple of palmfuls
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth, plus additional
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast or 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter (I used smooth)
  • 1 cup Greek-style yogurt (I just used Plain yogurt)
Prepare rice according to package directions.

While the rice cooks, combine scallions, ginger, garlic, chili pepper, cilantro, curry powder and a splash of the chicken broth in a small bowl and process into a paste.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat with oil. Add chicken to pan and brown, 2-3 minutes. Add spice paste and stir 1 minute to combine. Add peanut butter to the pan and whisk in broth. Bring to a bubble and whisk in yogurt, lower heat and simmer 7-8 minutes. Serve over rice.

Recipe #2: Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole by Mindi
Click here for mindikamoments website; she always has GREAT recipes!
I usually cook the chicken all the way (call me paranoid), and I just use fresh steamed broccoli; I also add a little mozzarella cheese. I'm not a huge casserole lover, but I love this one.


1 - 10 oz. package frozen broccoli & cauliflower mix, thawed, drained and chopped (or 2-3 C. fresh broccoli & cauliflower cooked)*
4 small, skinless, boneless chicken breasts
salt & pepper
2 t. olive oil
½ C. sliced green onions
2 T. butter or margarine
2 T. all-purpose flour
salt & pepper
1 C. milk
½ C. chicken stock
¼ lb. cooked ham, diced
1 C. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
½ C. Panko bread crumbs

1. Season the chicken breasts with salt & pepper.
2. In a large skilled heat the olive oil on high heat. Sear the chicken breast for 2-3 minutes on each side. The chicken will not be cooked through. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, melt 2 T. butter or margarine. Cook the green onions in the butter until tender.
4. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Mix until flour has been absorbed.
5. Add milk and chicken stock, stirring until it starts to thicken.
6. Add ham, vegetables and ½ C. of the Parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
7. Arrange seared chicken breasts in the bottom of a medium baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
8. Poor the cream sauce over the chicken.
9. In a small bowl combine the remaining Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, mix well.
10. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly over entire dish.
11. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.

*If you don’t like cauliflower, you can use all broccoli, or the other way around. 

No comments: